Like earthquake coverage, flood insurance is not covered by your homeowner’s insurance policy. There are other types of water damage that may be covered by the homeowner’s insurance policy, but if your home is filled with water as a result of rising bodies of lakes, rivers, streams, and oceans, it won’t cover you.
So when is damage considered to be caused by a flood?
- Water has to cover at least 2 acres of land that’s normally dry, or has to have damaged two or more properties (one being your home).
Also, the water has to come from:
- Overflowing inland or tidal waters
- Unusual, rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source
- Mudflow (that’s mud carried by a flow of water, creating a river of mud)
You’re also covered when shorefront land collapses or sinks due to waters above “anticipated cyclical levels.”
Water and seepage that comes from sewer or drain backups, or a sump pump that overflows is not considered a flood.
- Don’t wait for an impending storm to purchase federal flood insurance. There’s usually a 30-day waiting period. Some private policies offer a 15-day waiting period.
- Make an inventory of the possessions in your home to make filing a claim easier.
What can be covered –
- Your home and its foundation
- Electrical and plumbing systems
- HVAC equipment like air conditioning, furnaces, and water heaters
- Kitchen appliances, including your refrigerator, stove, and built-ins such as your dishwasher
- Permanently installed carpeting over an unfinished floor
- Permanently installed wallboard, paneling, bookcases, and cabinets
- Window blinds
- Detached garages (limited to 10% of your home policy)
- Debris removal
- Water heater
The NFIP policy that covers your personal property will cover stuff like:
- Clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment
- Window AC units
- Portable microwaves and dishwashers
- Carpets not covered by your building policy
- Your freezer and frozen food
- Up to $2,500 in valuables, such as art and furs
Contact us today to get a free policy review and see what options are available to you!